If you are someone who wants to focus on their health, starting a yoga practice has so many benefits. As a yoga instructor, Nicole Brar has been practicing yoga for more than 15 years and provides instruction in all branches of yoga, including hatha, bhakti, jana, and hot yoga. Today she shares 8 benefits of a yoga practice.
- Strengthen the connection between the mind and body. We often think of these are separate things, but they are actually deeply intertwined. Aside from the many physical benefits, yoga can help you develop a healthy relationship with your body.
- Improve flexibility. With time and regular practice, yoga can greatly increase your range of motion. If you think you aren’t flexible enough to start yoga, don’t worry about it – poses can always be modified to suit your current ability.
- Manage stress and anxiety. Physical activity combined with breathwork and meditation can put you into a deep state of relaxation. This helps to manage stress, even off the mat.
- Get better sleep. If you are having trouble sleeping, practicing some yoga before bed can help relax you and put you to sleep.
- Improves strength. Yoga works out all of your muscles – sometimes ones you didn’t even know you had!
- Improves balance. Many people claim they can’t do yoga because their balance isn’t good enough, but this is something you will definitely improve upon with regular practice.
- Lose fat. Yoga burns calories, strengthens muscles, and helps you become more mindful and less stressed overall. All of these things combined can help you with your fat loss goals.
- Gives you more energy. Constant stress and tension in our lives make us so tired. By practicing yoga and moving your body, you release that stress and thus have more energy!